Thursday, September 23, 2010

Saving $$

Over the past few weeks my thoughts have turned to saving money in mostly diminutive ways. But nevertheless saving money. Here are some appropriate quotes.

“Cutting Expenses Increases Income”
“A penny saved is a penny earned”
“The safest way to double your money it to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.”

With the big ‘R’ – Retirement looming and pretty much desired, we are wondering how our finances will work. For over 30 years Robert has been socking away money in a savings plan. He also qualifies for a fixed retirement income. I have been able to save an amount about 10 times less than his, but a nice little nest egg as well as qualifying for a pittance of a fixed retirement income. So we will not be destitute or homeless. At least we think not.

Mainly the challenge of saving, recycling, being “green”, and provident is incredibly appealing to me.

Some ideas that I have read about are not appealing. For instance, not using shampoo to wash our hair or using conditioner. Maybe as my hair stays shorter and Robert is balding we won’t need that much shampoo anyway. Not sure that we want to be required to use, as the article stated, a baking soda shampoo and vinegar and water rinse. The upside for doing something like this is that the baking soda concoction will not strip hair of natural oils. Hmmm….. It is also VERY cheap.

There are people out there blogging about living in their cars, utility trucks, campers, and RVs. We have a very nice RV and are considering living there at times before we settle down. But these bloggers share how to inconspicuously “camp” in parking lots, residential neighborhoods, state and national parks. Mostly called boon-dogging. Also not for us. Give us a nice RV park most of the time with running water, electricity, sewer, Wi-Fi, and possibly satellite for TV.

Bragging rights are also being claimed by those who live on between $500 and $1000 a month, some by choice and some out of necessity. The stories I have read are, of course, success stories on paper. In person it may not be so appealing.

My grandparents raised their children during the Great Depression. My parents carried over to a certain degree the lessons they learned from their childhood. Robert’s parents were ranchers who eventually moved to the city and he says they were not even a middle income family. My husband and I by osmosis have been careful in many ways. But not the same as a parent or child who lived through the depression. We are by no means extravagant MOST of the time. (Sorry, everyone makes mistakes and I don’t want to paint myself as perfect.) ☺

I feel excited about the challenge, proving I can do this, and being able to still live well with the things that matter to us. I also do not want to sacrifice the good things we can do to feed our souls and the souls of others because we do not have funds to survive.

No comments: