Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Getting Organized



Reasons for stacks.
1.  Difficulty making decisions
2.  Inadequate files
3.  If it is in front of me, I won't forget it.
4.  Fear - if it is filed it may never be seen again

Before I save something I ask the following questions:
1.  Does it make me money, save me money, or improve the quality of my life?
2.  When was the last time I used this?
3.  How likely am I to use this in the future?
4.  Do I need that many copies?
5.  Is it even relevant to my life any more?
6.  Is it replaceable?  Does it have historic value?  Sentimental value?
7.  What is the worst thing that would happen if I threw it away?






The office looked pretty bad.  Then it looked worse.  Then it looked better as in the pictures above. Then it looked worse again.  Right now it is pretty good.  But it is going to look bad again, and soon.  New carpet is being installed upstairs and in the basement on Thursday.  So everything in those rooms needs to go somewhere while the carpet is being installed.  The plan is not to put everything back where it was.  The plan is to get rid of the majority of it.

I am having a great time throwing things out, shredding papers, and planning the future look of the rooms after they are truly simplified.  It took me a while to get comfortable with getting rid of what feels like my whole life.  

It's going to be heaven.  Then we will sell the house.  :)




No comments: