Tuesday, June 13, 2006

We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.
Anna Sewell (1820 - 1878), Black Beauty, 1877

I was thinking about Nikki, my Cairn Terrier. She started out as a dog for Leslie, daughter #4, when we moved to Denver. Leslie was lonely and wanted a friend. Nikki provided the friendship, but of course, Leslie graduated and went off to college. Then Leslie was married and moved to an apartment which did not allow pets. You will notice the first sentence the Nikki is "my Cairn Terrier." And she is. I had forgotten how much love and joy a pet can bring into our lives. Bob even likes Nikki! Every animal to him has to have a job. Nikki's job is to be our companion.
I wonder how Nikki spends her days.

No comments: