Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Inheritances and New Knowledge

My Grandmother inherited what she called a Cocoa Pot from one of my great-great Grandmothers.  I am not exactly sure which one.  I had thought it was Selena Dworzin's but then Mom thought it was Nellie Mattingly's.  Either way, Grandmother inherited it.

Then at some point Grandmother gave it to Mom as it was to be hers anyway.  When Sara was born on Grandmother's birthday Mom decided that at some point in the future it would be Sara's.

When we were living in Louisiana, I inherited a china cabinet from my Grandma Dayhoff.  Once I had a place to safely keep the cocoa pot, Mom decided it was time for me to inherit it and keep it in safe keeping for Sara until she would inherit it.

In June we were camping down in Woodland Park, Colorado and took a day trip down to Cripple Creek.  It was a fun trip especially since all the museums were free that day.  I know there was a good reason why they were free but I don't remember why exactly.  But it was to our benefit.  It was even a good day for Nikki because she was allowed in the museum since she was a "polite pet".   See above.

Inside this particular museum you will not believe what I saw!  Well, maybe you will.  Anyway, there in a room set up as a parlor were three cocoa pots and I solved a little bit of the mystery I had felt around my own and Sara's set.


Now, my German Coffee set or "Mocha" set is not porcelain or special in any way except to me and my family and the family actually came to the United States prior to 1892 so it wasn't from this particular pottery.  But I think it has a connection at least to the type of pot it is.

Here are the ones I saw there:





And this is mine and Sara's.  What a nice discovery!



1 comment:

Jaymesmom said...

Awesome! I need to copy it all so, I can remember it. And keep it with the set when I get it.