Tuesday, October 30, 2007



The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew


By Margaret Sidney


"The little old kitchen had quieted down from the bustle and confusion of midday, and now, with its afternoon manners on, presented a holiday aspect that, as the principal room in the brown house, it was eminently proper it should have. It was just on the edge of the twilight, and the little Peppers, all except Ben, the oldest of the flock, were enjoying a breathing spell, as their mother called it, which meant some quiet work suitable for the hour. All the breathing spell they could remember, however, poor things, for times were always hard with them nowadays; and since the father died when Phronsie was a baby, Mrs. Pepper had had hard work to scrape together money enough to put bread into her children's mouths and to pay the rent of the little brown house. But she had met life too bravely to be beaten down now. So with a stout heart and a cheery face, she had worked away day after day at making coats and tailoring and mending of all descriptions; and she had seen with pride that couldn't be concealed her noisy, happy brood growing up around her and filling her heart with comfort, and making the little brown house fairly ring with jollity and fun."

When I was in 6th grade we had a Christmas party in Mr. Bolger's class. Everyone had drawn a name to exchange gifts. I don't know that I remember who gave me my present. But I remember that it was wrapped in kleenex type paper with a ribbon. I wonder now what the circumstances were of the child who gave me the gift. I loved that book. It just struck a cord in me. I still have it around the house somewhere.

Reading has been such a huge part of my life. I know there are people who do not enjoy reading. Where would the world be without the majesty, mystery, and fantasy of books?

While in 1st grade I went to live with my paternal grandparents for a while as my brother was very sick. Any germs I would bring home from school were a threat to his life. In fact, I did contract the chicken pox and that could have been fatal to him. Anyway, my Grandma Dayhoff would read to me at bedtime. My father liked reading. He liked Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour. I know that my mother enjoys reading non-fiction history.

In high school with easy access to the library on campus I could read a book a day. When homework got done, I do not know. My social life was actually pretty good and I taught primary and cooked dinner but reading books was my obsession. Overall I may not have absorbedeverything that I read. But I sure enjoyed it. Reading has been my refuge many times.
Thank you little Peppers one and all. You helped me learn to love reading and what a blessing that has been in my life.

No comments: