Monday, October 15, 2007


I read this post on a blog called: Taniwa

It truly humbled me and gave words to a feeling I have had for a long time and also needed to remember.

A Long Walk

"I remember hearing a story about a missionary who lived in Central America for many years and when she was getting ready to return to America, the missions board sent out an announcement to all the churches she had ministered to that she was leaving. One day an old man arrived at her door carrying two coconuts as a thank you gift for her time with them. She was very touched by the gift but she was more concerned about the man whom she knew had had a four day walk from his village just to give her the coconuts. "Thank you so much for your gift, but what a long walk you had to have!" The old man replied, 'Long walk part of gift.'"

I have felt this message as I have lived my life. Sewing for my family, making gifts, searching for something special, cleaning house, cooking meals, doing laundry, going on a date with my husband, preparing a lesson for Church, cooking a meal for a family with a new baby or sickness, even in my employment which I didn't plan to do, but chose to do to help my husband and family. Even as I have had the feeling of importance to what I would do, I did not know how to put it into words. This story provides the words so profoundly.

I don't think I can ever look at a gift, a visit, a phone call, a letter, the same again. And I don't mean just on my part, but on the part of every person who comes through my life.

And on further contemplation, how does the Lord look at the time we take out of our so busy lives to "talk" to Him, to read His words, to serve others and thereby serve Him?

Taniwa continues...

"I say, yeah to all of us who give our time to the people around us. It is the most valuable possession we have even if no one can see it. Next time you're making something for someone and wonder why, when you have so many other things to do, remember, 'Long walk part of gift.'"

Powerful.

No comments: