Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A while ago I bought a new set of large print scriptures. Even though I could read them better (still needing glasses) I missed my old set. The old ones had gotten me through a lot of worry, planning, questions, etc. They are all marked up and the pages are soft with all the use. I remember once at girl's camp I was very stressed out. I went back to my bunk and there were my scriptures sitting on the quilt. I picked them up and just holding them and knowing what they meant to me quieted my emotions. They were/are my best of friends. So the new scriptures had a hard row to hoe.
Scripture study lately has been a little different. I have been going through the Book of Mormon to begin with and transferring my marked/favorite scriptures and writing in the margins, to the new set. I will through the Doctrine and Covenants and also the Bible as well. As I go through I am reading the scriptures and pondering them. It is taking a while, but has been really spiritually uplifting. It not only reminds me of the meaning of those scriptures but it also brings back memories of when I marked many of them. It is sort of amazing that I would remember.
After doing this, which will probably take a long time, I plan to go back and read between the marked passages and see what lies there as my next phase of scripture study.
I love reading the scriptures. They give me such peace and knowledge. We have been told that all the answers lie in the scriptures. At times I have asked myself almost sarcastically, "well..where is the answer to this problem, huh?" And then more humbly I have either found the answer while reading or sometimes even had words put in my mind which have given me the reference and where to look.
I read mainly early in the morning. It is quiet and I sit there in the living room in a pool of light from the lamp and soak it all in. Nikki usually either is by my feet or over on the couch all snuggled down in the pillows. Such a peaceful time. No wonder the time slips away so quickly.

No comments: