Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Own "Little House On the Prairie"



When I was born we lived in this house. No, I was not born in the house. I was born in a regular hospital -- Union Hospital.
The last time I saw the house it was being used as a storage barn for hay. That seems such a historical waste. Despite the fact that me moved from this house when I was 5 years old, I have quite a few memories of the house and surrounding area.
One thing I remember was that when my dad was taking out an old useless fireplace he found a union cap and rusted gun. Wish he had kept them.
We had dogs, cats, chickens, and pigs. My dad worked as a warehouseman during the day and farmed at night. The well was either dry or the water was not drinkable. We had bottles of water. One night I was really thirsty and could not get the cap off of the bottle to get a drink. I played outside and made mudpies to bake in the sun.
I learned to ride a two-wheeled bike out front on that hill. The Christmas I got the bike it did not snow. What a bonus for me.
Maybe I should write my own "Little House at Prairie Creek" tales for my grandchildren. Hmmm.... that would be fun for all. Maybe Dan could draw pictures?

As a side note, Robert's family lived in a log cabin when he was born. His mom went to the big city, SLC, to stay with her mother until he was born.

Oh for the good old days!

No comments: