Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Family Picture 1975


In 1975 Robert and I packed up our little car and moved from California to Illinois. The reason we were moving was a transfer for Robert from working on a flight line on KC-135s and B-52s at Castle Air Force Base to teaching airframe repair in a class room at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, IL. We spent a few months less than three years in Illinois in the middle of bean fields. It was good time.
Jared was 18 months old and Amanda was three months old when we moved. Amanda had a really nice car seat which I had hoped would help her sleep all the way across the country. From our experience when Jared got in his car seat he usually fell asleep if we drove for any length of time. I thought this would work the same way for Amanda. Little did I know that she was born an independent sleeper and she didn't sleep much if any during the three day drive in the car. She still doesn't sleep much. She nursed most of the way across the country on that trip. I was her human pacifier.
(I know! This was not safe, but it is what we did.)
Since Rantoul is only a couple of hours away from my grandparents in Terre Haute, IN, we would go down a few times each year. It was a great time for me to get to know them as an adult. I had not lived by my grandparents for almost 10 years.
This picture shows us with my Grandad, Royce Reel, at his home on Second Avenue in Terre Haute. I really cherish the thought that my grandparents held my children and talked to them. Even if the kids don't remember it, I do.
As this historical blogging goes forward I can share a few thoughts about it all.
The things I notice in this picture are: Proof that Jared sucked those two fingers. Robert's original wedding ring. He lost at least one playing softball, maybe two. My Grandad had a BIG ring. I didn't even notice it when we were visiting. I look so young with no wrinkles. Robert is so skinny. Interesting T, too, Janice. Amanda didn't have much hair and that is about as cute as clothes got for little boys in 1975.

No comments: