Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy Birthday! (To Us)



Today is my birthday. But is is also Beth's birthday. I actually wanted to go to the movies on that date those many moons ago. Plus, my OB was out of town. So much for birthday plans and it turned out to be pretty fun to share "my" day.
When Beth was little I used to tease her about it NOT being her birthday, it was MY birthday. As we both got older I gave it to her for her own and celebrated on another day. Then for a little while we both tried to be the first one to say "Happy Birthday!"
It is kind of special to share the day. I think that if you shared your birthday with a holiday it would be harder. A lot of people would be celebrating sort of for themselves. This is just the two of you. (Or maybe more?)
But then Susan Hayward and Lena Horne had it before either of us.
My mom said that she called the doctor and told him that she was in labor and he said to come in. So she waited for my dad to come home and then she also shaved her legs. :) When they finally got to the hospital the doctor said that he thought maybe she had changed her mind because it took so long for them to arrive.
I was born at 1130 p.m. on June 30th. 8 lbs 4 oz. I think 20 inches long. My Uncle Sherrill's reported comment was, "A girl! Send her back!" He was a 17 year old teenager. I am glad they decided not to take his advise.
When I realized I was truly in labor with Beth I was disappointed because as I have already stated, I wanted to go to the movies and my doctor was out of town. I actually went into labor on June 29th and delivered at 5 + a.m. on June 30th. My desire to celebrate my birthday in a way that didn't include labor pains didn't stop her. The doctor had originally said that she was a boy because of her size. She was actually my biggest baby at 8 lbs 12 oz. I think also 20 inches long. Jared had been a bigger baby and the next two girls were smaller babies. This was a big baby. Her name was going to be Seth. (On this original post I was incorrect and said Ryan, but Sara was going to be Ryan.) I think the Beth ended up being Beth because I liked the name Seth and when he turned out to be a she then I got the closest name.
Anyway, out she came and I have not regretted it at all, of course. I used to tell her that she was my gift because she came on my birthday.
Happy Birthday, Beth! Happy Birthday to me, too!

4 comments:

adrienne said...

Jared says he thought her name was going to be Seth? That is funny that her name was going to be Ryan!

Jan said...

Yes! You are correct. Thanks. I better pay closer attention so I get my "history" correct. Sigh.

Beth said...

it was 5:26 am...I have always thought it was super cool to share my birthday with my mom!!! Love YOU!!

Jaymesmom said...

Happy Birthday Mom! and I guess Beth, too... hehe