Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Father's Day


Father's Day is this Sunday. This is what I read about the original Father's Day.
The idea for an official Father’s Day celebration came to a married daughter, seated in a church in Spokane, Washington, attentive to a Sunday sermon on Mother’s Day in 1910-two years after the first Mother’s Day observance in West Virginia.
The daughter was Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd. During the sermon, which extolled maternal sacrifices made for children, Mrs. Dodd realized that in her own family it had been her father, William Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran, who had sacrificed-raising herself and five sons alone, following the early death of his wife in childbirth. For Mrs. Dodd, the hardships her father had endured on their eastern Washington farm called to mind the unsung feats of fathers everywhere.

Her proposed local Father’s Day celebration received strong support from the town’s ministers and members of the Spokane YMCA. The date suggested for the festivities, June 5, Mrs. Dodd’s father’s birthday was three weeks away-had to be moved back to the nineteenth when ministers claimed they need extra time to prepare sermons on such a new subject as Father.

Newspapers across the country, already endorsing the need for a national Mother’s Day, carried stories about the unique Spokane observance. Interest in Father’s Day increased. Among the first notables to support Mrs. Dodd’s idea nationally was the orator and political leader William Jennings Bryan, who also backed Mother’s Day. Believing that fathers must not be slighted, he wrote to Mrs. Dodd, "too much emphasis cannot be placed upon the relation between parent and child."

Father’s Day, however, was not so quickly accepted as Mother’s Day. Members of the all-male Congress felt that a move to proclaim the day official might be interpreted as a self-congratulatory pat on the back.

In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson and his family personally observed the day. And in 1924, President Calvin Coolidge recommended that states, if they wished, should hold their own Father’s Day observances. He wrote to the nation’s governors that "the widespread observance of this occasion is calculated to establish more intimate relations between fathers and their children, and also to impress upon fathers the full measure of their obligations."

Many people attempted to secure official recognition for Father’s Day. One of the most notable efforts was made in 1957, by Senator Margaret Chase Smith, who wrote forcefully to Congress that "Either we honor both our parents, mother and father, or let us desist from honoring either one. But to single out just one of our two parents and omit the other is the most grievous insult imaginable."

Eventually, in 1972-sixty-two years after it was proposed-Father’s Day was permanently established by President Richard Nixon. Historians seeking an ancient precedent for an official Father’s Day observance have come up with only one: The Romans, every February, honored fathers-but only those deceased.

In America today, Father’s Day is the fifth-largest card-sending occasion, with about 85 million greeting cards exchanged.

I was thinking about Father's Day this morning. Robert wants to go buy some new shirts for work. He also is probably going to buy himself a new flat screen television for the bedroom. The old TV in the bedroom is going out. The vertical hold is not working and it takes a long time to stop spinning as it warms up.
I always recognize him for being the father of my children. I try to treat him and make the day nice for him. He usually doesn't make a big deal of the day, but as he is getting older I think he worries more about what kind of a father he has been and would like to hear about it from his children.
As for my own father...this year it is very poignant to me that he has passed on. I would really like to honor him this year, even more than last year which was the year he passed away. Maybe the newness of his passing had rather numbed me in 2007.
When I was in California in May I purchased some silk flowers to put on his grave. I will add a picture when I get access to a copy. I arranged them myself. What do you think?
Anyway, I miss my dad and wish he was here to call me, tease me, and send me two cards for my birthday! :(
Make sure you tell your Dad, husband, sons, sons-in-laws, co-workers, brothers, uncles, grandfathers Happy Father's Day while you can. You will feel good about it, they will feel good about it, and it makes the day nicer for everyone.

2 comments:

adrienne said...

I was just planning Father's Day this morning. My dad will be in Hawaii so it'll be a day all for Jared. He chose the menu so for dinner I'm making him manicotti, parmesan green beans, garlic bread, and fudge ribbon cake. Yum! He also needs new shirts and he needs new ties so he knows that is what he is getting. And he has asked for Rock Band but it won't be out quite in time. Jared deserves a great Father's Day after the year he has been through!!
I hope Dad has a great day, too. We'll be sure to call him.

Anonymous said...

What I wouldn't give to see Dad stepping out of his truck now.
I didn't have a good day on fathers day this year either. Last year was better..humm...